Saturday, August 31, 2013

I believe...

Once upon a time, the church made a bigger deal of the Sabbath.  Or usury.  Or the Lord's Supper (specifically, the definition of "This is my body / This is my blood".)  Or whether it was acceptable to go to the movie theater.  Or the significance of the bodily resurrection of Christ.  Or the wrath of God.  (Oh, wait, we're still discussing that.)  Or drinking. (Hi EYS.Ners!)

I desire a timeless faith.  And I desire a guide to properly understand both the Word Made Flesh and the Word as revealed in Scripture.  To understand how I should live in the light of the red letters, the advice of the apostles, and the blessed hope.  To know, how then should we live, specifically as a man who seeks to follow Christ living in the US in the 21st century.

And, for the love of God, a way to balance my heart and my mind; to be able to identify the voice of God as opposed to my own mental or emotional stirrings (whether divinely, savagely, or neutrally inspired). 

What does it mean to say, as my brothers in Christ through the centuries, that Jesus is Lord?

Random theological thoughts.
1.  John 21:15-17 reads much differently if you realize that Jesus said "agape" in 15 and 16, while every other mention of love reads as "phileo".
2.  I wish I knew which of the statements of Christ only referred to the siege and sack of Jerusalem in AD 66-70.
3.  I think we can agree that if Christ tarries to AD 2100, there will be a lot of people who look back at some of the interpretation of prophecy in the late 20th century...and laugh.  For example, the idiots who thought Gorbachev was the antichrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment