Monday, December 11, 2017

Xmas Dose of Perspective

I've been sitting on this one for a long time, almost a year.  (Not as long as For Annie, but it's stewed for a good while, like a crock-pot meal.)

Irving Berlin wrote a song performed by Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney called "Counting My Blessings (Instead of Sheep)"

This song, along with many other songs performed by folks from earlier decades, was on a Christmas classics station, on rotation endlessly during the holiday season last year at Home Depot.   So I heard it.  A lot.  Along with Marshmallow Christmas.

Christmas is hard for me (see other blogs) in part because of the self-imposed pressure to do "enough" for Christmas, and being creative with a bankroll smaller than Jeff Bezos.

I can't keep up with the Joneses.  It's taken a lot of work, hustle and frugal living to get to probably the best financial position in our lives.

But when I look at my small bankroll, I think back to when I had none (or even when I was badly overdrawn).
It takes discipline, but remembering how far I've gotten (by the grace of God) is very helpful.

Take it away, Bing.


#MM107
"Count Your Blessings"
Written by Irving Berlin
Performed by Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney


When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment