Saturday, November 30, 2013

Well, that was easy...Too easy...

Pressure turns coal into diamonds, is that it?
Well, that’s a physical fact, MacGyver.
It can also crush it to dust.

-- MacGyver, Hell Week, S3 Ep 9, 11/23/1987


I've lived a charmed life.  An American, middle-class life.  My kids are well-educated, there's food in my cabinet, and heat & a/c in my residence.  I've never had to bury a sibling or child;  I have only been hospitalized one night since as far back as I can remember.  And I grew up a whiz kid.

I've had it easy.

Then why...why...why does life seem so difficult?  Why do the #firstworldproblems I face (and, even the serious ones - like the times my only vehicle had a major mechanical problem, or the stresses involved with the move earlier this year) make me turn turtle, look for a quiet spot in the woods miles away from anyone...

In my moments of honesty I realize that I am weak.  Untested.

It's not that I fear apocalypse, or ruin, or loss.

It's that I know that...or maybe I don't know...

1 comment:

  1. You consider yourself untested? Dude! You've faced some serious trials. I would have never said you were untested. Or, weak. Humble? Yes.

    ReplyDelete