Saturday, January 17, 2015

God be merciful...

And so I was going to write a post about some conversations.  Conversations in which my choices, my morals were discussed, contrasted with other people I know.   And I'd say that, by the grace of God and the good guidance of my mother, I was taught certain things.

And I was wondering how to phrase it without insulting my ... neighbors.

But, then I thought about how it would sound, and although I didn't know the reference (Luke 18), I knew what it would sound like - the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector.  It would sound like, "God, I thank You that I am not like other men", the opening line of the Pharisee's prayer.

But, I remembered how the parable ended, saying that the other man went home justified.

And so, with a dose of humility, I bite my tongue, try to remember that pride is the most dangerous and most insidious of all, and say,

"God, be merciful to me a sinner!"

No comments:

Post a Comment