Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Robison paradox

"Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

People talk about the "will of God", as a path to be followed. Or a direction to be sought. Or the reason for something to happen.

But...I know that not everything that happens is the will of God. Because I cannot accept that God would have it to be His will that someone would disobey His law.

Cue the question storm.
* But was it God's will that Judas betray Jesus?
* Was it God's will that most of the apostles were martyred?
* Is it God's will who wins in a war?
* And is it God's will for a child to be conceived outside of marriage?



I suspect that many people look at the blessings that they have seen, the path that they have taken, the combination of roadblocks and open paths: and conclude that obviously everything that has happened brought them to a good place. And was therefore the will of a good God.
I can't look at my life like that.
Don't get me wrong. Romans 8:28 is all over my life, God taking circumstance, decisions, and even tragedy and making something good out of it, far better than I could've made.

But in a world of free will, God is doing an amazing job on cleanup.

Never mistake the will of the majority for the will of God. And never mistake history as the proof of the will of God.

Thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment