Saturday, February 6, 2016

Irrational exuberance

This year our church is talking about Joy. And our Church needs Joy, like the body of Christ. But sometimes I wonder if we overemphasize joy and happiness. For example, I felt the ending to "Inside Out" was reasonable, emphasizing a place for each of the emotions. But sometimes I feel that we are pushed to mask our sadness and just slap on that stupid smiley face.

Mourn with those who mourn, rejoice with those who rejoice. There are some people who lean towards instructing the ones who survived them to "throw a party, because I won't be there", emphasizing that, in Christ, we have the blessed hope of resurrection. But the other side, realizing or believing that grief is a experience to be lived through, and a sorrow shared is a sorrow divided... That makes more sense to me.

I absolutely concede, however that I have very little experience in dealing with grief, and the experience I have from my losses, the closest one being my father 2 years ago, left me realizing that I am no expert in grief and sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment