Monday, June 19, 2017

I'd pay $40 to hear that song live. Oh wait, I did.

Thank you, Leah Rose.

After a few weeks back in Leavenworth, my s-i-l asked us to attend her oldest son's dedication.  (Now that I think about it, at the time that was her only son.  They now have three.)  And, by asked, I mean stated something to the effect of "you'll be there, right?  Right."
We were late to the new church.  Ivy said to the kids, "sit down, shut up, behave, and we'll never have to see them again."  She was quite nervous about a new church, seeing my side of the family, and the situation in general.
As we walked in for the first time, on November 3, 2013, the second verse of "This Is Amazing Grace" was being sung.  And Ivy thought, "not even You can turn this chaos into order."

It took time.  It took hard work.  It took humility.  It took listening to people wiser than us.  It took persistence.  And, above all, it took a lot of grace from God.

We had our pastor sing this song at our wedding-vow renewal-15th anniversary-thing.  My wife was in tears.  But that's kind of normal for her.  ;)

Two months ago, on the day before my 16th wedding anniversary, Phil Wickham, Chris Tomlin, and a few other folks were at a concert at Kansas City.  Once I figured out that Phil was going to be in KC the day before my anniversary...it was a no-brainer that we would go.
And as we drove to Sprint Center, my wife and I were wondering whether Phil would play "our song."  Yeah, it's one of my top three.  (Along with MM#26 Bounce and MM#51 Second Chance).
If you follow me on FB/Instagram, you might remember how it went...
"Came to #WorshipNightInAmerica to hear one song... And they opened with it!! This is Amazing Grace by Phil Wickham!"



Who breaks the power of sin and darkness
Whose love is mighty and so much stronger
The King of Glory, the King above all kings

Who shakes the whole earth with holy thunder
And leaves us breathless in awe and wonder
The King of Glory, the King above all kings

This is amazing grace
This is unfailing love
That You would take my place
That You would bear my cross
You lay down Your life
That I would be set free
Oh, Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me

Who brings our chaos back into order
Who makes the orphan a son and daughter
The King of Glory, the King of Glory

Who rules the nations with truth and justice
Shines like the sun in all of its brilliance
The King of Glory, the King above all kings

This is amazing grace
This is unfailing love
That You would take my place
That You would bear my cross
You lay down Your life
That I would be set free
Oh, Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me

Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy, worthy, worthy

This is amazing grace
This is unfailing love
That You would take my place
That You would bear my cross
You lay down Your life
That I would be set free
Oh, Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me
All that You've done for me

No comments:

Post a Comment