Saturday, November 25, 2017

Bah! Humbug.

I once complained about Christmas.  I had my reasons.

I still do.

I'm going to write this first, then compare to some old blogs later.

First, the deification of Santa Claus.  The assignment of godlike qualities to a mythological character.  The singing of so many songs.  The demand of faith to believe.  Augh!

Second, the definition of "the spirit of Christmas."  The nebulous ideal of goodwill, giving, agreeableness...all divorced from the very person of Jesus Christ.

Third, the commercialization of Christmas, including the epitome of it, Black Friday.  Christmas has become about buying things, and sometimes more for oneself than for others.  And I see so much of "It's Christmas, buy something!" 

Fourth, the extension of the "season".  Between working in a gift wrap factory and early Christmas music, I'm already tired of Christmas.  In November.

A holiday wrapped in fake smiles, overstimulated commerce...

I hate Christmas.

---------------------------------------------

2008

I love a few things about Christmas. The lights. The spending time with the family. The creativity in decorating the family room.

But...the holiday of December25 has taken a life of its own. I don't even know whether what this holiday has become is worthy of its name, or of the distinction 'holiday.'

the celebration of Immanuel (God with us),
wrapped up in consumption (from Black Friday to candy canes)
and smelling of tradition (from the Nativity traditions; to family coming together; to trees, stockings, and Santa Claus) [by the way, how do we know the names of the Wise Men?]

Nothing ruins a perfect Christmas like the pursuit of a perfect Christmas.

2009

"OK...why does Santa Claus...'sell', while no one cares $0.02 about the Easter Bunny?"
"Because...when people think Santa Claus...they have that image of a Father that they miss."

"If we didn't have kids...I wouldn't even celebrate the holidays."
"What?"

"Yeah...I'm sure that this is how Jesus wanted people to celebrate his birth - by a mad dash for presents the day after Thanksgiving"
"But presents are a picture of God's love for us"

"We spend so much on the presents for the kids, and all they do is play with the box."
"And you wonder why I feel about Christmas as I do.  You know, the box is actually in the Toy Hall of Fame."

"There's a few things I like about Christmas...the lights at Krug Park, the church service on Xmas Eve...and I might've just figured out why I like them so much...they're FREE!"

Still having discussions about the nature of Christmas in the US of A with my wife.  (Imagine Mrs. Claus and the Grinch locked in an elevator.)

3 comments:

  1. I missed that you work in a gift wrap factory. I'd love to know what that's like. What do you do? (I thought you were at Home Depot.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite: "Imagine Mrs. Claus and the Grinch locked in an elevator."

    I think agree with everything you wrote, but I still loooooove Christmas! I think I kind of compartmentalize it all. I don't like the spending. I don't like the stupid stuff. I really hate people giving just to give. I love the pageantry, food, festivities, traditions, colors, sounds, lights. I love the coziness of it all. I love that it is one time a year where people acknowledge Christ's birth, even if they don't understand or believe. I hate the Believe theme, because I know it's not about believing in Christ. I do love the idea of Santa, and believe he was a real and sincerely devout man. I used to tell Hannah he gave gifts, because he loves Jesus. (We did not do the Naughty and Nice thing, because Jesus doesn't give to us because we are worthy. Too much legalism there. I also did not let her believe he knew when she was sleeping, etc. He was not a supernatural character, just a very old man. I like make-believe. I like leaving carrots for the reindeer. And, I rejoice for Christ's birth (and appreciate His death and resurrection) all year long, not just on Christmas and Easter. Plus, I really, really, really love the color red! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been at Home Depot since mid June. I started at Hallmark in mid August (the day of the Eclipse.)

    I'm tired of seeing so much "Christmas" and so little Christ. I'm tired of Hallmark movies and "Christmas Spirit" and Santa Claus and fighting through the shopping...

    And Christmas without Christ...what's the point?

    ReplyDelete