Saturday, February 3, 2018

Working my butt off.

Apologies for having went silent on the blogs.  But anywhere where I actually string together more than 20 words (besides the car driving home)...yeah, that's not happening.

At the start of January, I had a temp job that had become part-time.  That job ended early in January.  I picked up a temp job as a "costumed sign waver" - the job I thought would be extra cash turned out to be my only job.

So, the day after I first started waving a sign dressed up as an American landmark, I'm driving down to Ivy's job when I get this message.

2017-01-15 16:37 Wanna work 10p-6a

What?!?!

I'd worked 14 months as overnight stocker/janitorial at Wal-Mart already.  And I was very glad to get out of there, away from overnight, and back to something local and days.

However...an opening at the store my wife and daughter work at...
The magic word might have been "permanent"

Having an end date on your assignment sucks.  Trust me.

So...by now, the end of January, I'm working 70 hours a week.

WORKING.

None of this sit-on-my-butt stuff chatting with fellow contractors like I did supporting wargames in 05, 06, 08.

None of this taking calls from shoppers like the week I put in  60 hours call-center-from-home.

A 40 hour job of stocking and facing
And (right now) a 30 hour job of dancing with a sign for a tax shop.  (Yeah, that one).

I'm burning calories like crazy!

The one job is seasonal, and when tax day comes and goes, so will that job.

But, for now, I'm hustling making the money.



I don't know how my Dad did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment