Saturday, July 4, 2015

Because of the Brave

My grandfather wore the uniform of our country's army, served for almost three decades, was deployed worldwide, most notably Vietnam, and is buried beside his brothers-in-arms at Leavenworth, having lived long enough to see four of his great-grandchildren.  He loved his country and gave his best years in service.

My father wore the guard's uniform of our state's prisons, serving for almost 25 years, dealing with some of the worst people in the state, suffering two minor injuries at the hands of the inmates.  He lived long enough to see six of his grandchildren, and his ashes are scattered at his favorite vacation spot.

I am honored to see my heritage of service. And although I have questions about current military and correctional/prison policy...I have great respect for the men in uniform.

Sorry, if you're looking for fireworks, check your local listings for time and place.

America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self control,
Thy liberty in law.

No comments:

Post a Comment