Saturday, July 13, 2013

80s and 90s

I'm getting old.  And I feel it.
I used to think that I was on top of the tech wave, or at least could see the top of it...
no I didn't.  I spent over a decade without setting foot in a Best Buy.  None of my televisions are flat-screen.  I used to program in a language with such a small niche...
I would've had to turn in my geek-card years ago.
THEN...I got a job as an at-home CSR for a major electronics retailer.  And my geek cred went into the negative.
I remember the releases...Halo, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty.  I mentioned to several interested customers that the last FPS I'd played with any regularity was Goldeneye for the N64.  Black Friday.  uhhh.  My wife picks up magazines from garage sales to try to get me up to date on the latest tech.  A nice gesture, but I know when I'm beat. 
Or when they talk about TVs that can't hook up to the internet (oh, they're supposed to do that?)  Or the magic word these days..."Sound bar."  I think I know what it is, but I couldn't recognize it at a party. 
And how in the hell am I supposed to be able to afford to stay on the edge of the tech wave?  How am I supposed to be able to afford a triple-digit collection of games for the latest console? 
Some days, I wish I was born Amish.

No comments:

Post a Comment