Saturday, September 21, 2013

William R. Pratt

William “Bill” Pratt 57, the world’s foremost authority on grilling and holiday dinners, died on September 16, 2013. He passed away in his sleep at home in Lenexa, after surviving world travels as an army brat, reckless sled rides in Fort Leavenworth, canoe trips down the Current River, twenty-five years of service at Lansing Correctional Facility, and raising ten children.

A Leavenworth High School graduate, he is survived by sisters Marilynn Helm of Hays, Nancy Bruhn of Chico, California, brothers Jim Pratt of California and John Pratt of Nevada, by his children Steven and Ivy Pratt of Severance, Robert and Stephanie Pratt of Lenexa, Bethany Pratt of Beaverton, Oregon, Richard and Leah Pratt of Lansing, and Jonathan, Melinda, Wyatt, Kimberly, Lincoln, and Olivia Pratt of Lansing, and grandchildren Molly, Noah, Zach, Olivia D., Karen, and Daniel. Bill is preceded in death by his parents Lt. Colonel James R. Pratt and Ruby Pratt, and his brother Bobby. An army brat, Bill travelled all over the world as a child, and chose to stay in Leavenworth with his parents after they retired. Bill worked 25 years at the Lansing Correctional Facility and 10 years with Food4Less. Thru the years, he also provided for his family as a co-owner of Veteran’s Cab, and working security at Cushing Hospital and Lakeview Village in Lenexa.

His kids will continue his traditions of sledding on post, Yorkshire pudding on holidays, mushroom hunting on government property, and camping in the Ozarks. His children and six grandchildren will miss being the recipients of his wisdom and culinary genius.




In no particular order
  • "Yes, the Navy Yard shooting was a tragedy, but I've got a death of my own to deal with." - member of my family.
  • By distance, I am officially the 9th closest child of my father. 
  • Due to my father's passing, I moved most blog posts ahead a week.  A particularly downer post, typed before 9/16, got moved several months ahead.  I don't want to cause more concern to my readers (who I can count on one hand).  I did move Constitution Day to 9/17 because, this Saturday, again, there will only be one post.
  • The death of a relative gives one a meaningful opportunity to contemplate life.  Including your own life expectancy, family relationships, end-of-life questions, etc.
  • Dad loved us.  I'm going to miss him.

1 comment:

  1. Your father sounds like a pretty cool guy. A very good man. An extremely special person. I am really sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. I know it's not easy. Sending a hug your way.

    With love,
    Caroline

    P.S. Those questions are good. I think that is one of the few positives in death, that it causes us to ask some important questions.

    ReplyDelete