Saturday, July 16, 2016

No drought, no locusts, no plague.

So earlier this week I was followed on Twitter by a couple Twitter accounts, representing an event and it's leader, who are trying to rally an American week of repentance right before election day.

As I think I've previously stated on this blog, in general I will not speak ill against a preacher of God calling people, saint or sinner, to repentance, because that is what we are called to do. We are told by John the Baptist, St. Peter, Martin Luther, and Christ himself to repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.

But, I'm not alone in having a bit of disagreement with the use of Two Chronicles 7:14 as a rallying cry for a prayed for American revival.
One person who I know has also stated an objection to this is Dr. Russell Moore. His Twitter bio reads, "President, @ERLC; author of Onward: Engaging the Culture Without Losing the Gospel; terrible representative of evangelical Christianity, due to nastiness".  And I respect and agree with his point of view. (2Chr714 only for original nation of Israel/Judah)  But I have a different point of view, and I have stated it before.
How do we know which calamities that have befallen our nation,
    if any event in the last hundred and fifty years can be considered a calamity,
would fit under the criteria of 2nd Chronicle 7:13,
in which God says
  if I have (paraphrasing smited your land) - more precisely, "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people"

As I have stated before, without the word of God to necessarily call a calamity the Judgment of God, we are merely guessing on whether God is smiting us or if we are smiting our selves, or if it is merely the curse of Adam cursing us.

And, another thing.  There are so many fractured movements trying to unify the church and call us to repentance, action, sorrow, etc.  There's only one person who could even get half the church to come together on a single day, and he's an Argentine octogenarian living in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment