Monday, October 17, 2016

But the tigers come at night

MM#45, "I Dreamed A Dream", Les Mis (Schönberg/Kretzmer/Boubill/Hugo), Sung by character Fantine 4/20/09

For what it's worth, I concede that the Xanga - Monday Melody Era (Oct 2007 to Jan 2012) were a tough time in my life, and so a bunch of these are downers.  And although I reserve the right to be as vague as I damn well please...
This song was posted 10 years to the day after I fell in love with my wife.

"There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong"

By 2009, it all went wrong.  I often think back, trying to figure out how I could've sailed the boat differently, avoiding the major shipwreck.  But I didn't.

"But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame"

In 2004, I thought I'd reached the pinnacle.  And in 2008, for a brief moment, I thought I'd reached the top.  But...it all came crashing down.  I knew things were on the downhill in April '09, although I still had a couple things going for me...a couple more things I would end up losing...

"I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed."

No comments:

Post a Comment