Saturday, August 31, 2013

In God's Image ?

"There's nothing wrong with loving who you are"
She said, "'Cause he made you perfect, babe"
"So hold your head up girl and you'll go far,
Listen to me when I say"
I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

-- Lady Gaga
Was that the sound of hell freezing over?

Did Steven just post a melody on a Saturday

Did Steven just post Lady Gaga? 


    (Doubt it, yup, yup.)

For years, I have wrestled with my depression.  Some days better than others. 
And God knows I have two great questions.  Why and how. 
  • Why am I afflicted with this dark cloud?  (Not so much a "Why would you, oh God, let this / inflict this on me", as a "what factors have conspired against me")
    Is it genetic - a predisposition that could be found on my DNA?  Is it merely a chemical inbalance in the brain?  Is it a result of environment, the way I was raised or what I was taught?  Is it something I'm more inclined to because...I'm smarter than the average bear?  Did something happen to me to affect me so severely?  Or is it merely a rational reaction to stress and/or isolation in my life?
  • How...how do I break these clouds?  What must I do to be delivered?  Is it nothing more than a point of view that can be defeated with the right argument?  Can I think myself happy?  Or do I need to find the right preacher to pray for me, lay hands on me, etc?  Or is this my 'thorn in the flesh'?  Is it a right mix of pharmaceuticals with damnable side effects - or some concoction of vitamins, herbs (legal ones), and/or minerals?  Or do I just need to make sure I don't go too long without meat?
People have debated for decades whether various mental abnormalities are born or bred.  Damned if I know.  Maybe some birth defects aren't physical. This is not a perfect world. 

I've always wanted to host a game where I'd give a Carnac-like clue, and the answer would be the name of a #1 single.  So, if the answer is "born this way", the clue would be "naked, screaming, and a lot shorter"

No comments:

Post a Comment